Looks like I'm doing everything wrong. Time to take on a new track. As its said in the Gita - focus on work and duty.
1 Linux Graphics
1.1 FOSDEM 2013. I'm sharing slides specific to Linux graphics, X11 and Wayland.
- Razor QT is a lightweight desktop environment (unlike KDE). 1.0 release is coming soon. Slides presented at FOSDEM 2013 -https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/razorqt/attachments/slides/200/export/events/attachments/razorqt/slides/200/fosdem2013.pdf
- Lots of Videos including from previous events at http://video.fosdem.org/
- Wayland input methods - https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/waylandinput/
- Overlays in Wayland with atomic page flips - https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/westonoverlays/
- Walkthrough of the state of Linux Graphics and Security - https://fosdem.org/2013/schedule/event/drinext/
1.2 Daniel Vetter's crash course on Intel's DRM/KMS architecture.
1.3 More wayland updates.
- The real story behind Wayland and X11 by Daniel Stone - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44
- KDE will use Server Side decorations - http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2013/02/client-side-window-decorations-and-wayland/
2 Linux Distros
2.1 Fedora 18 for ARM released
2.2 So what is a Linux distribution?
- A Distro is the Linux operating system built on top of the kernel. Wikipedia has a great timeline of how different distros evolved. Each distro has its own goal. In general, here's a list of Linux Distros supporting Pandaboard.
|Ubuntu (Desktop Image)||http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-12.10-desktop-armhf+omap4.img||Download and flash to SD Card|
|Ubuntu (Server Image)||http://releases.ubuntu.com/12.10/ubuntu-12.10-server-armhf+omap4.img||Download and flash to SD Card|
|Linaro||http://releases.linaro.org/12.03/ubuntu/oneiric-images/nano||Download and flash to SD Card|
|Fedora||http://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/18/Images/armhfp/Fedora-18-panda-armhfp.img.xz||Download and flash to SD Card|
|Arch Linux||http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/pandaboard||Download and flash to SD Card|
|Debian||No direct support but supports OMAP3 (Beagleboard) and ARMv7 in general||Use Debootstrap to create ARMv7 image and flash to SD Card|
|Gentoo||http://dev.gentoo.org/~armin76/arm/pandaboard/install.xml||Use a PC running Gentoo and build image by compiling every software from scratch. Then flash to SD Card|
|Yocto||https://www.yoctoproject.org/download/yocto-project-13-poky-80 + Meta-TIhttps://github.com/Angstrom-distribution/meta-ti||Use a PC and build image by compiling every software from scratch. Then flash to SD Card|
|Buildroot||http://buildroot.uclibc.org/download.html||Use a PC and build image by compiling every software from scratch. Then flash to SD Card|
|Slackware||No direct support but supports ARMv5+ -ftp://ftp.arm.slackware.com:slackwarearm/slackwarearm-14.0||Port from QEMU to OMAP4|